Wednesday, May 18, 2011

GIRLS DRESS LIKE BOYS TO GET BOYS TO LIKE GIRLS

Women have been dressing like boys for some time. I think it all started with Audrey Hepburn and Liza Minelli that started off this fashion sexual revolution. It has propelled its way to the mainstream, from looking like a preppy boy to a hip hop gangsta. Point is: from the moment that jeans and trousers were acceptable for women - there is no stopping...

And why would you want to stop this trend? Women look great dressed like boys. It goes hand in hand with the rock'n'roll attitude of 'yes I am a girl and I can do it like you and also do it better'. It was HUGE in the 90's with the grunge and hip hop culture and I feel somewhat died down in the midst of flowery, summery dresses in popularity now.

What I have noticed though, everytime I go out I see girls dressed down in military boots and simple t's get way more attention that ones that look like they are dressed to go a prom. Not everyone gets it right though, and there are many varieties. I like to mix and match, personally - yes I will wear a gypsy skirt with a leather jacket and workers boots. Just cos I am a girl and I can. Guys, get your kilts on. It's sexy too.

Only the gorgeous Audrey Hepburn gets away with this boyish ensemble 

Liza Minnelli in Cabaret proves looking like a guy can be sexy as hell

90's army goes on - Shania Twain twists Robert Palmer's vision

Who can ever forget TLC? Crazy Sexy Cool is exactly the name of this style

Beautiful Aaliyah - feminine yet slick
R.I.P. Babygirl

Gwen Stefani's 'Hollaback Girl' video - looking like a Chola (refer to previous blogs)

Alexa Chung does preppy and boyish yet sexy
And then there are a few that just don't get it quite right all the time ....

Ellie Goulding does NOT get it right, I can't put my finger on it but this was to Burlesque's premiere.
10 points for the effort.

Ciara is so tall and muscular looking like a boy takes her into one direction only: looking like an actual boy
I am sorry but I still love your music and you look fabulous. Just don't think this look works for you.

Pink has a fabulous body but sometimes takes it one step too far from the statement and makes
people question her sexuality. I am sure this is a market ploy in itself though.

Jessie J cheapens it up by wearing stockings with a chavvy bomber jacket
Looks contrived and too put together.  Sorry again.


No comments:

Post a Comment